A. Noyes & John Wood
This firm (A. Noyes & Bro.) is composed of A. Noyes and a step-brother, John Wood. The business was established by Mr. Noyes, a native of Oakland County, Mich. He came to Harrisville in 1865, and the following year opened a store in a small building located where the St. Lawrence House now stands. He continued in business alone until the Fall of 1872, when Mr. Wood, who is a native of Oakland County, arrived, and went into business with Mr. Noyes, the firm being named A. Noyes & Bro. In 1873 they erected the building now occupied with their business. In the Summer of 1882 they built a shingle-mill about five miles from the village, which they are operating. They also have a farm about two miles from the village. Mr. Wood attends the farm and mill and Mr. Noyes to the store. Mr. Noyes belonged to the regular army from 1858 to 1863. He has a wife and three children. Both gentlemen
are active business men and have an excellent reputation as a business firm.
(Bibliography: “History of the Lake Huron Shore and Its People With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Pioneers”, 1883, Chicago, Page 274.)